Sunday, May 22, 2005

"You Suck!"

So the other night I went to see Revenge of the Sith at a local cineplex. As soon as the lights went dark, someone in the capacity crowd shouted “You suck!!!” Now, as far as I know, the fellow who shouted it wasn’t directing this diatribe at anyone in particular, but seemed intent on eliciting a general reaction of laughter from his fellow audience members. And he succeeded – we all thought it was hilarious. But I couldn’t help but wonder why. What is so funny about anonymously yelling “You suck!” in a darkened theater – except that it IS funny?

Any thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Am I making too much of this? Is this a common occurrence (outside of at pro wrestling matches, where any number of things or people in the room do, indeed, suck)?

5 comments:

Elle Woods said...

While I can't say I've heard those exact words in a theater, I have had the privilege of hearing extremely loud burps from individuals in front of me and people dancing in the aisles for no apparent reason. Boy do I miss the now-defunct Shitty Place theaters in the SS.

Bruiser Woods said...

Say it ain't so! Did they finally put AMC City Place out of its misery??? Where will we go to see "White Girls 2"???

Murphy's Lawyer said...

Or, possibly, the people in your theater were fucking douchebags.

Bruiser Woods said...

I can't believe I made the mistake of calling "White Chicks" "White Girls". The Wayan Brothers offer me the utmost in Saturday afternoon motion picture enjoyment and I go and forget the damn title of their masterpiece. For shame...

Elle Woods said...

Well...there were white girls in white chicks....its a common mistake. Regardless, Shitty PLace has closed. I guess it couldn't compete with the new cinemacomplex. I'll always have a special place in my heart for Shitty Place. Now, I can only look forward to it becoming a gigantic sneaker store or a multi-level dollar store.